The Key to Mold Is Moisture Control

The Key to Mold Is Moisture Control

Why is mold growing in my home?
Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores, the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

Can mold cause health problems?
Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. This informational overview does not describe all potential health effects related to mold exposure. For more detailed information consult a health professional.

How do I get rid of mold?
It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors. Some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don’t fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.

Who should do the cleanup?
Who should do the cleanup depends on a number of factors. One consideration is the size of the mold problem. If the moldy area is less than about 10 square, in most cases, you can handle the job yourself, following the guidelines below:
⦁ If there has been a lot of water damage, and/or mold growth covers more than 10 square feet, consult Eco Advantage mold and moisture professionals. (see below)
⦁ If you suspect that the heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC) system may be contaminated with mold (it is part of an identified moisture problem, for instance, or there is mold near the intake to the system), consult Eco Advantage mold and moisture specialists. Do not run the HVAC system if you know or suspect that it is contaminated with mold it could spread mold throughout the building.
⦁ If the water and/or mold damage was caused by sewage or other contaminated water, then call Eco Advantage professionals who have experience cleaning and fixing buildings damaged by contaminated water.
⦁ If you have health concerns, consult a health professional before starting cleanup.

The Eco Advantage Solution
The key to mold control is moisture control. If mold is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mold promptly and fix the water problem. It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. These conducive conditions could increase the chances of your home becoming infested with termites. A moist crawlspace with damp wood is a natural habitat for termites. Termites devour wood and soft, wet wood makes a perfect meal.
Placing a barrier in a moist crawlspace along with proper soil treatment will inhibit the infestation of subterranean termites.

Our #1 concern while ridding your home of unwanted pests is the health and safety of your family and pets! We are an all service pest control and termite control service provider that will help get rid of unwanted pests and removal mold and moisture in your home.
The Eco Advantage solution includes (but not limited to) the installation of moisture barriers, crawl space exhaust fans, dehumidifiers and gutter installation. We provide service for homes and businesses, residential and commercial customers, apartments, condos, offices, restaurants, boats, yachts, motels, warehouses, banks, medical facilities, doctors, lawyers, realtors, building contractors, investment agencies, churches, and non-profit organizations. If you are in the Hope Mills and the Fayetteville, North Carolina area and you are in need of a knowledgeable exterminator, termite control and pest control specialists, give our team a call today at (910) 425-6415. We are more than happy to offer a variety of services, all of which come with free estimates and our famously generous guarantee!

Photo by Olena Shmahalo